A life size bronze statue of Sir John A MacDonald stands beside the Pandora Avenue entrance to City Hall. It was presented to the City of Victoria on July 1, 1982 by the Sir John A MacDonald Society of BC. The statue was erected to honour this important historical figure who was known as the Father of Confederation, Canada's first Prime Minister and a former MP for Victoria. He and Mrs. Susan Macdonald returned to Vancouver Island to hammer the last spike in the Canadian Pacific Railway in August 1886 after spending three weeks enjoying Victoria.
The photograph was taken by Times Colonist photographer John McKay. Caption: "Montreal sculptor John Dann, in the striped sweater, helped steady a tribute to Sir John A. Macdonald. It was installed at the entrance to Victoria's City Hall in 1982."